Why giving to local charities makes all the difference in your community

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Learning My Way: One Crash Course at a Time

I'm not a reporter. Larry King, called the best interviewer of all time, would say I'm terrible at conducting interviews. I let them go too long, I lose control of the conversation, or I completely take over the conversation. I share too much of my own story. I don't do anything by the book. In fact, I don't actually think I've ever read a book about interviewing. I just decided to do it.

Perhaps that is the reason I feel so personally connected to this project. I can't control it. In fact, at times, I don't even think I'm a good enough writer to document all of the cool stuff that people are doing. I like things being a little bit out of control; the trick is to put things in the right place to make it all work.

So, to my past and future interviewees, I would like to say: Please offer your suggestions as we go through this. I'm excited to have the opportunity to learn from you, to see you for who you are, and to tell the world about your work. Don't hold back. Keep it coming. It's good.

And thank you, all of you, for your amazing hard work. I'm inspired by you and I am proud to call you my colleagues. Thank you for putting your faith in me and for allowing me to tell your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment